Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mt. Jackson and Webster Hike

TRIP DATE:                  July 11, 2015     
           
TRIP LOCATION:          Mt Jackson (and Webster)     

MEETING TIME:          9:15  AM

NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS (INCLUDING LEADERS):     12

TOTAL HIKING TIME (IN HOURS):       7.5

LENGTH IN MILES:      6.3

TOTAL ELEVATION GAIN (IN FEET):    2400'

DIFFICULTY:       B                            (A=very strenuous; B=strenuous; C=average; D=easy)

LEADER NAME(S):       Bob Vogel, Anne Duggan

CO-LEADER NAME(S):             Luther Wallis

TRAILHEAD PARKING LOCATION & DESCRIPTION:    Lot and along Rte.302

CAR SPOTTING REQUIRED?:    N                     TIME REQUIRED TO SPOT CARS:

WAS TRIP WITHIN WHITE MOUNTAIN NATIONAL FOREST?  Y         

BRIEFLY DESCRIBE SPECIFIC TRAILS HIKED AND TRAIL CONDITIONS ENCOUNTERED:
We climbed Jackson via the Jackson branch of the Webster Jackson Trail, crossed to Webster, via the Webster Cliff Trail, and descend from there.

WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR HIKE:  Great. Cool in the AM, breezy at summit.

OTHER COMMENTS (problems, views, terrain, etc.)
We climbed Jackson via the Jackson branch of the Webster Jackson Trail. We arrived at the summit at 12:30, and had lunch until 1:00. We decided, since everyone had done fine climbing Jackson and it was early, that all would cross to Webster, via the Webster Cliff Trail, and descend from there, which we did.
During the descent, while Anne was leading, we came to the pool just before the junction. I was near the rear with Luther and the slow hikers. As we were descending the steep section to the pool I saw Anne was wading in the pool, and Mary Sousa was ahead on the steep section back up toward the junction. I watched Mary and she started back down toward the pool. By the time I had reached the pool Anne was swimming, and most of the others were watching. Once everyone was down to the pool I realized there were only 11. We figured out that it was Mary who was missing, and someone said they had seen her climbing up (toward the junction). I took off up the trail calling her name (however my knees weren't doing so well and I wasn't fast.) I went as far as the junction, hoping that Mary was just ambling along, instead of sitting to wait, or in the woods taking a separation break. She wasn't there. As soon as some of the others caught up I asked Luther and Kevin to descend as fast as they could for 5 or 10 minutes and call for Mary, to see if they could catch up to her. When the rest of the group gathered we started down, however at this point several of the new hikers were going quite slow. One was having knee trouble, and others were just tired after a long day of rocky trail. (As was I!) The group ended up stretched out along the trail, however eventually we all reached the trailhead about 5:00 and Mary's car was gone, so we knew she had made it out.
When I reached the Campton Dunkin' at 8:00 (I had errands to run in Littleton on my way back.) I checked my email and had received the following email from Mary Sousa.
"Bob, just letting you know I'm home and safe.  Sorry but I got pissed off when I saw the lady going into the water to cool off and we still hadn't finished the hike and I had a 31/2 hr. drive facing me.  I tried to call you but you have not set up your voice mail.  Again sorry and I'm safe.

Mary"

No comments:

Post a Comment